- To maintain a nurturing environment for wellness and healing
- To maintain a safe and clean physical environment
- To promote a relationship of trust and communication free of prejudice or judgment
- To provide high quality bodywork, giving highest regard to your needs and expectations
- To communicate my expertise honestly and clearly
- To work within my scope of practice and to refer to other professionals as needed
- To protect your confidentiality, privacy, and modesty at all times
- To promote your engagement of self-healing and wellness
- To abide by the Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals Code of Ethics
- To be open to wellness and healing and the wonderful benefits that massage therapy has to offer
- To promote a relationship of trust and communication with your therapist about goals and expectations
- To provide accurate and honest information and to inform your therapist of any current infectious conditions
- To treat staff and other guests with courtesy and respect
- To provide at least 24 hours’ notice if any appointment is to be missed
- To provide payment at time of appointment
- To never arrive at a session impaired by drugs or alcohol
- To become an active participant in complete wellness of body, mind, and soul
- To take time each day for self-care
Information gathered during your massage session is strictly confidential. Questions regarding your health may be asked during these sessions merely to accurately gauge levels of stress, extent of injuries, or personal goals in the treatment.
Clients are draped during the massage. When an area such as the back is being massaged, this area is uncovered, massaged, and then re-covered to keep the muscles warm. Draping is required and is used for the purposes of warmth and professionalism.
Code of Ethics
As a member of the Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals(ABMP), the massage therapists hereby pledge to abide by the ABMP Code of Ethics as outlined below.
• I shall endeavor to serve the best interests of my clients at all times and to provide the highest quality service possible.
• I shall maintain clear and honest communications with my clients and shall keep client communications confidential.
• I shall acknowledge the limitations of my skills and, when necessary, refer clients to the appropriate qualified health care professional.
• I shall in no way instigate or tolerate any kind of sexual advance while acting in the capacity of a massage therapist.
• I shall maintain the highest standards of professional conduct, providing services in an ethical and professional manner in relation to my clientele, business associates, health care professionals, and the general public.
• I shall respect the rights of all ethical practitioners and will cooperate with all health care professionals in a friendly and professional manner.
• I shall refrain from the use of any mind-altering drugs, alcohol, or intoxicants prior to or during professional sessions.
• I shall always dress in a professional manner, proper dress being defined as attire suitable and consistent with accepted business and professional practice.
• I shall not be affiliated with or employed by any business that utilizes any form of sexual suggestiveness or explicit sexuality in its advertising or promotion of services, or in the actual practice of its services.
Scope of Practice / Appropriate Techniques
• I shall provide services within the scope of the ABMP definition of massage therapy and the limits of my training. I will not employ those massage techniques for which I have not had adequate training and shall represent my education, training, qualifications and abilities honestly.
• I shall be conscious of the intent of the services that I am providing and shall be aware of and practice good judgment regarding the application of massage, bodywork or somatic techniques utilized.
• I shall not perform manipulations or adjustments of the human skeletal structure, diagnose, prescribe or provide any other service, procedure or therapy which requires a license to practice chiropractic, osteopathy, physical therapy, podiatry, orthopedics, psychotherapy, acupuncture, dermatology, cosmetology, or any other profession or branch of medicine unless specifically licensed to do so.
• I shall be thoroughly educated and understand the physiological effects of the specific massage techniques utilized in order to determine whether such application is contraindicated and/or to determine the most beneficial techniques to apply to a given individual. I shall not apply massage techniques in those cases where they may be contraindicated without a written referral from the client’s primary care provider.
Image / Advertising Claims
• I shall strive to project a professional image for myself, my business or place of employment, and the profession in general.
• I shall actively participate in educating the public regarding the actual benefits of massage, bodywork, somatic therapies and skin care.
• I shall practice honesty in advertising, promote my services ethically and in good taste, and practice and/or advertise only those techniques for which I have received adequate training and/or certification. I shall not make false claims regarding the potential benefits of the techniques rendered.
Your Rights as a Client of iMassage
Although there are a wide array of massage therapists out there, each offering a unique experience, they are all devoted to overall well-being through a variety of professional services that encourage renewal of mind, body, soul. To enjoy your experience to the fullest, observe the Code of Conduct, act responsibly and be aware that common sense and personal awareness can help ensure your satisfaction, comfort and safety, as well as that of others.
As a Client, you have the right to:
- A clean, safe and comfortable environment
- Stop a session at any time, for any reason
- Be treated with consideration, dignity, and respect
- Confidential treatment of your disclosed health information
- Trained staff who respectfully conduct treatments according to treatment protocols and iMassage policies and procedures
- Ask questions about your experience
- Information regarding staff training, licensing and certification